emsworth plans to commemorate D Day
Friday 6 June sees the 70th anniversary of D-Day, an event which arguably changed the history of the world. Mark Ringwood of WEMSFEST has outlined plans for a massive Emsworth-based commemoration of the 70th anniversary of D- Day on June 6th.
"Emsworth and other parts of Havant Borough played a vital role in the preparations and the team behind WemFest are determined that this vital episode in the Second World War does not go unnoticed," said the events organiser.
"Few residents realise the extent to which our area was involved in D-Day. "Aside from the thousands of international troops camped and billeted just inland from the coast there were miles of camouflage netting created in Emsworth mills, landing craft and Mulberry Harbours built on Hayling Island, and troops even departed from the quay in Emsworth bound for the Normandy beaches. "
For the past 12 months the WemsFest team has been assembling a financial bid to help the project." The WemsFest team plan to:
• Feature five nights of a specially-written performance in words and music based on how D-Day affected three different Emsworth families.
• Embrace an oral history
project with school students to capture the memories of
those alive in 1944 and tum this into a
• Include the projection of images onto buildings at locations within the borough.
• Dress Emsworth as a World War Two town with sandbags, blast tape on windows, propaganda posters and encourage shopkeepers to dress appropriately.
• Involve Thanks for the
Memories, a collage art exhibition in collaboration with
Hampshire Library Service and creative writing groups
throughout the borough, to be displayed at libraries (and
other locations) in Emsworth, Havant,
• Showcase a curated exhibition of World War Two memorabilia in Emsworth Community Centre.
• Include a two-week long arts festival majoring on World War Two music, dance and poetry.
• Commission the creation of a 1944 map showing all the notable locations relevant to the D-Day preparations.
DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE TO FIND OUT ABOUT ALL OF THE EVENTS